Last Updated on
Who Needs a Sperm Donor
The decision to move forward with IVF treatment in Cyprus using donor sperm is very personal and is based on several reasons. Some of the most common indications for sperm donation Cyprus include:
- Male-factor infertility: Male-factor infertility contributes to up to one third of all cases of infertility. While there are many effective treatment options such as IVF with ICSI which can help men with low or even very low sperm counts get pregnant, in some cases, a man may not be able to produce viable sperm at all (azoospermia). These sperm issues occur when the reproductive organs are blocked or absent. In other cases, a man may not be able to father a child due to autoimmune or genetic conditions which can obstruct the normal function of his reproductive system. Cancer treatment can also affect a man’s ability to produce sperm. These patients can now form families with unsurpassed happiness and joy thanks to our sperm donation program.
- Genetic diseases: Men who are carriers or have a family history of certain genetic diseases may choose to use a sperm donor in order to prevent passing the mutation onto the offspring. In such cases, sperm donation can provide an alternative solution and renewed hope for future parents.
- Same-sex couples: Female same-sex partners can benefit from the use of third-party assisted reproduction technology to help them become parents. Sperm donation is an integral part of the family building plans of every lesbian couple.
- Single women: Single women who choose to go solo can use a sperm donor to build a family. An anonymous sperm donor provides a clear path to parenthood without legal, personal, or custody complications. IVF is a common option preferred by many single women because it provides the added benefit of cryopreserving any extra embryos for future use.
How Does Sperm Donation Work
For many people, using a sperm donor may be the only way to achieve their dream of parenthood. And we understand that the decision to proceed with this fertility treatment may not come easy for you. For anyone considering sperm donation in North Cyprus, our support team will provide extensive consultation and empowering education to make sure that you are fully prepared for the wonderful journey ahead. Our goal with sperm donation is to ensure compatibility between donors and recipients. In the next paragraph, you will find some important details about the selection process and how the sperm donation procedure works at the euroCARE IVF North Cyprus clinic.
What is the Process of IVF Cyprus using Donor Sperm
After the initial consultation, you will undergo fertility testing to determine the cause(s) of infertility. Once the details of your personalized treatment plan have been set, you will choose a sperm donor from the donor database. We partner with a reputable sperm bank in Europe to provide you with the best sperm for conception.
Day one of the woman’s menstrual cycle marks day one of the treatment process. On day two, ovarian stimulation begins. During the stimulation phase, which typically lasts 10 to 12 days, the female patient is monitored through regular blood tests and ultrasounds. On day nine of the treatment cycle, patients will need to come to the euroCARE IVF clinic in North Cyprus to proceed with the treatment. Here, you will have another ultrasound scan to check the growth of your follicles/eggs. When the eggs reach an optimal size, an egg retrieval procedure is performed. This is a simple process of collecting mature eggs that takes no more than 15 minutes.
The donor’s sperm is provided in a frozen state from the sperm bank well ahead of the egg retrieval day. In the lab, the sperm sample is first thawed and then evaluated for quality. Only the best sperm are selected for fertilization of the eggs. Fertilization is accomplished by injecting single sperm cells into each egg. This procedure is called Intracytoplasmic Sperm Injection (ICSI). ICSI is performed in all IVF treatments at the top IVF clinic in Cyprus.
Once fertilization has been achieved, the resulting embryos are cultured in a special culture medium in the lab and are monitored by our team of expert embryologists. On the transfer day, which is usually day 3 or day 5 after the egg retrieval, two to three embryos are selected for implantation. Embryos are placed into the woman’s uterus using a special catheter. Any extra good-quality embryos can be frozen for future IVF cycles. Two weeks after the embryo transfer, you will be arranged a beta hCG test to check whether you are pregnant.
Evaluation of the Male Partner
Prior to the start of the IVF Cyprus treatment, the male partner should have completed an appropriate fertility testing. Medical records will be reviewed by our fertility specialist and if appropriate, additional testing may be arranged. Fertility testing includes:
- Human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) testing
- Testing for other sexually transmissible infections (STIs)
- Semen analysis to measure the sperm count, movement, and shape
The female partner will also go through a fertility assessment which includes:
- Review of the medical and reproductive history to determine the cause(s) and duration of infertility
- Physical examination including a pelvic examination
- Blood tests to determine the blood type, Rh factor, and hormone levels (Anti-Mullerian hormone, Thyroid-stimulating hormone, and Prolactin)
- Infectious disease testing for HIV and Hepatitis B and C
- A trans-vaginal ultrasound scan to assess the ovarian reserve (number of eggs in the ovaries) and detect any abnormalities of the uterus and ovaries.
Sperm Donor Selection Process
The main qualities to look for in a sperm donor are good health and absence of genetic diseases. For this reason, our clinic requires makes sure that all sperm donors have previously undergone an extensive screening procedure carried out by the sperm bank to ensure that the donors are healthy and fit for donation.
Sperm Donor Screening
The screening process is intentionally designed to exclude candidates who do not meet our high standards for sperm donation. You will be surprised to know that less than 1% of all applicants are accepted into our sperm donation program. The screening process involves:
- Semen analysis. This is a standard test that is used to measure sperm count, motility (movement) and morphology (shape). In general, we recommend that there is a minimum of 20 to 30 million motile (moving) sperm per milliliter after thawing as the minimal criteria for semen quality.
- Genetic Testing (karyotyping). The euroCARE IVF clinic requires complete chromosomal analysis before a donor is added to our database. This test is carried out to rule out any genetic disease that can be passed onto the child.
- Physical Examination. The donor should undergo a complete physical examination including a genital exam for indications of sexually transmitted diseases.
- Laboratory Testing. This includes blood tests to determine the blood type and Rh factor.
- Additional testing should be performed according to our sperm donation guidelines.
All potential donors undergo extensive medical, genetic and STI testing before they can donate. Once the medical evaluation is completed, a semen sample is obtained and stored in a frozen state. Sperm is kept in quarantine for a period of 6 months. After this time the tests are repeated to rule out infectious diseases that can be passed on to the child. After the tests confirm that there is no infection present, the sperm donor is added to the donor database and sperm samples are made available for use in IVF treatments at our clinic.
Sperm donation involves fertilizing an egg with the spermatozoon in the laboratory to obtain embryos for implantation. The fertilization of the eggs is achieved by means of Intracytoplasmic Sperm Injection (ICSI) Cyprus. With this method, single sperm cells are injected directly into each egg.
IVF using donor sperm is often recommended for single women and female same-sex couples. It may also be recommended for couples who are affected by male factor infertility or who have experienced multiple failed IVF cycles. Couples with poor quality embryos or repeated implantation failure due to a male factor can also benefit from sperm donation. Donor sperm can be used to prevent transmission of sexually transmitted diseases or a genetic condition from the father to the offspring.
Choosing a Sperm Donor
There are several ways to match the donor with the male partner. The couple will enlist the characteristics that they desire in a sperm donor, including physical attributes, nationality, education, profession, etc. Our support team pays a lot of attention to the blood type and Rh factor, especially when it comes to Rh-negative recipients.
Intended parents can search through a database of anonymous sperm donors to find their perfect sperm donor. Information such as physical and personal characteristics, education, career, and professional achievements, etc. are made available to the patient(s) in search of a donor. The selection of a suitable donor is usually done based on the physical features and/or ethnic background.
Once a sperm donor is selected, the bank will send a sample of frozen sperm to our clinic. The sperm samples are thawed in the lab to be used in IVF for fertilization of collected eggs.
Finding a sperm donor through our clinic ensures the donor will be given health checks and supported throughout the process with information and counseling. Interested patients can access our database and look at the different donor profiles so they can choose a suitable donor. There is no waiting list, so you can start your treatment as soon as you find the right match.
Sperm Donor Rights
The donor legally has no rights or responsibilities over any resulting child/children. Sperm donation in North Cyprus is anonymous. This means that donors cannot be tracked down by the parents or the children born as a result of a donation. The donor is not allowed to pursue information about any resulting children or their parents.
If you use donor sperm through our clinic, you can rest assured that the donor will not:
- be the legal parent of your child
- have any legal obligation to the child
- be named on the birth certificate
- have any rights over how the child will be brought up
- be required to support the child financially
You and your partner (if you have any) will be recorded as the official parent(s) of the child.
Sperm Donation Success Rates
It’s important to remember that success rates for sperm donation are influenced by a few factors, including your medical and reproductive history, egg quality, lifestyle habits, etc. Your euroCARE IVF consultant will always advise the course of treatment that gives you the highest chance of success.
Sperm donation at euroCARE IVF
There are many reasons why people may need to use a sperm donor to get pregnant. For many people, using a sperm donor is the only way to see their dream of parenthood come true. Donor sperm Cyprus is primarily used to achieve pregnancy for women who are single, women in same-sex relationships, or couples in which the male partner does not have viable sperm.
If you have decided to use a sperm donor, the next step is to consult with our expert care team who will help you navigate your journey to parenthood with more ease. You will get access to different sperm donor profiles which includes details such as physical attributes, education, career, personality, hobbies, etc. With euroCARE IVF, you can have peace of mind knowing that all donors have gone through an extensive assessment to ensure good health and suitability for donation.
Sperm donation at euroCARE IVF is a comprehensive and supportive donor program that is designed to help individuals and couples build or grow their family. Our aim is to ensure that IVF Cyprus treatments using a sperm donor mirror natural reproduction. Get in touch with our multilingual support team to find out more about your upcoming IVF journey.
Once you click the button you will receive your quote in your email within a few minutes and we will never spam you.
World-Class Fertility Care
Modern clinic boasting state-of-the-art equipment, advanced IVF procedures, and the leading IVF specialists in North Cyprus.
Comfort starts with the best accommodations in North Cyprus.